Saturday, June 15, 2024

First Image from Lac qui Parle State Park

I finally made it to one of the state parks I had found: Lac qui Parle, northwest of Montevideo, Minnesota, and a little under a three hour drive from home. It was only an overnight stay; I was gone from home for less than 22 hours! I had reserved two nights but cancelled the first because of clouds and rain. Had I known what would happen the departure morning I might have driven home in darkness instead of waiting for dawn. I'll get to that later--for now I just want to talk about the park and the image that resulted.

The Park

Camping is in the Upper Campground.  It has quite a few back-ins, a few pull-throughs, and even cabins. There's a modern restroom and most of the spots have power. I opted for a spot with no power, indicated by the red star in the picture below. Horizons are excellent in all directions, so long as you're imaging at a reasonable elevation. There is a light dome from Montevideo about 10.5 miles to the south east, but it only extends upward about 20 degrees. It should only be a factor if you're horizon-scraping in that direction.

The sky is much darker than at MAS's Cherry Grove field. The Milky Way rose while I was imaging, and it was almost as visually spectacular as it is at the Nebraska Star Party.


LqP Upper Campground (N is up). My location is marked by the star.

The nicely modern (flush toilets!) restroom's inside lights activate using motion sensors (good) but the pole lights just outside are always on (bad). They are boxed, but could be a problem for visual observers. The same building also houses showers.

Each pull-in includes a picnic table, fire ring with grill, and one small tree that provides a little shade and is easy to image around. A bonus is that the ground has been leveled. I set up my tripod and was pleased to see that no manual leveling was needed.

If you want to image from LqP, here are few things to know:

  • Reservations are required. Although it does look as if you can make same-day reservations at the entrance if you have a phone (be sure to call and confirm that). My phone, using AT&T network, had nice signal strength.
  • All state parks enforce "quiet time" from 10 PM to dawn, so no generators may be used during that time.
  • The water from the spigot was a little cloudy; I filled a couple of water bottles from it and saw sediment form in each. The water tasted fine but you may wish to bring your own.
  • The nearby park office closes at 4 PM, which is also check-in time. If you have reservations you can go directly to your spot. Just bring a copy of your reservation to put on your dash in case a park ranger visits. They didn't bother to check the night I was there.
  • Given the wet spring, I thought there would be a lot of mosquitoes. That evening it was almost all gnats and small black flies until around 10 PM, then the gnats went to bed and the mosquitoes started their shift. While they weren't as bad as I anticipated, I was glad I brought along a lot of repellant.
  • Directions: Getting to the park from the Metro area is easy. Chances are most of your miles will be on MN 7, a nice highway once out of the Twin Cities. You can bypass Montevideo by turning north onto county 6 eleven miles past Clara City, then 5 miles later head west again on County 13.  At the Lac Qui Parle Recreation Area a right turn onto County 32 will take you to the campground.
The Imaging 

Everything ran flawlessly by itself for the entire session, lasting three hours and 17 minutes from late twilight until the clouds rolled in. That was a first for me!

Every single light frame was great, 89 of 89! Typically I have lost 10 to 20% of my frames. This kind of perfection was also a first for me. I think the ASI 120MM Mini guide camera has solved my guiding problems that were the main cause of lost frames.

NINA's advanced sequencer handled target acquisition and centering, periodic refocusing, and dithering perfectly. 

In the past PHD2 has occasionally squawked about dithering timeouts. Not this time.

Battery talk: The session was powered by my new 50Ah LiFePo4 battery and it said that the session needed only 145 Watt-hours, far less than I expected. Dew control was only used for one hour, though.

It was a great night, even if I had nothing to do!

Now the image. Here is a much reduced version:


vdB 152 and others (click to enlarge)

The full scale image and the usual gory details are at AstroBin. (Attention: AstroBin imagers! This park is in the AstroBin database for you to select.)

I chose this target as a test of the sky, and I'm not disappointed. It's a positive riot of faint nebulae, layers of gas and dust, and nice bright stars. This is why we love dark skies!

The Morning After

Let's just say things could have gone better if the weather forecast of a pleasant morning had been a tad more accurate. Instead I was awoken around 7 AM by thunder and the sound of hail pounding my metal table. Then the wind hit and my two-person tent bowed almost flat on top of me. I got out of it quickly and was greeted to light rain and small hail. The storm that had hit me was receding to the east but another was fast approaching from the west, so I broke camp by tossing everything into the car and started the drive home. The torrential rain resumed and continued to fall on me all the way back; it was not a fun drive.

Luckily something about the way the clouds had popped up during the night prompted me to put most of the gear into the trunk and a tarp securely over the mount; nothing was harmed, although my car has a few minor dents.

And in the "adding insult to injury" department there was this: the storm had not deterred the morning shift mosquitoes and they were ravenous. I think almost all the bites I got during the stay were in that mad 15-minute rush to pack and leave.

But it was worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment