Thursday, January 10, 2019

Remote Control Range

Here's my first report from the 2018 Nebraska Star Party. I realize it's now 2019, but better late than never, right?

In an earlier post I talked about exploring the ability to remote-control my imaging using a wireless router (the ASUS RT-N12) and Android tablet running TeamViewer. The theoretical range of this setup was 500m, and I posted a diagram showing a 250m radius around the anticipated imaging site:


This assumed I was going to set up on north end of the low hill north of the dinner shelter. I ended up imagining from a position further north (the blue dot in the diagram below):


The green dot is the location of the dinner shelter, from which one could see the setup point on the horizon. The signal there was strong enough to allow control of the imaging laptop. This is about 380m from the router. I did a little more exploring and found that at the yellow points there was good enough reception to be able to see the laptop display but not control it. The red dots indicate where the signal caused TeamViewer to give up.

I think it's fair to say if one can maintain a line-of-sight contact with the router the range of 500m is a fair estimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment