Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Time for Mosaics

I imaged many of the smaller/brighter AL Bright Nebula list objects in this season's sky last year, so this year I'm left to clean up the more difficult objects. These can be more demanding in terms of the sky I have to work with (tree-locked and bright), or by virtue of their larger size. In the former category are reflection nebulae and Lynds brightness category 6 objects.

Here's an example of the former, IC 4954 in Vulpecula:


This was shot in H alpha because it has a weak emission in that, and the narrowband filter helped to reduce the light pollution and moonlight. This is given a 2 for brightness.

For faint there's DG 191, shown in the previous post. There's no official brightness for this, but I estimate it as a Lynds 4. Most of it is visible in weak Ha emission, but the lower right quarter or so has a substantial reflection nebula component. Because I wanted to catch the blue tint I shot this in RGB. I should have gone with HaRGB, but I wanted to complete this in one night.

Sh 2-134 was too large for a single frame at 400mm. I combined two images to create a minimal mosaic using Photoshop:


I used Photoshop's default settings for this and it turned out pretty well. There is a transition line visible along the top of the lower frame, so it could use some reprocessing.

Next up is the huge LBN 270 (3 degrees across) in Cygnus, which will require a 2x2 mosaic. I managed to get the southwest frame last night during a couple of hours of clear sky!

Eventually I'd like to patch together a mosaic of Sh 2-240 (Simeis 147 in Taurus), a large supernova remnant in Taurus. That might take five or six frames!

No comments:

Post a Comment