Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Two images from last weekend: M17, M20/21; Processing workflow.

I'm REALLY pleased with how this image of M17 came out:

Messier 17 (Omega or Swan Nebula), click for full size
The previous night's image was not quite as successful--M20 and 21. More about why in the next blog entry.
M20 (Triffid) and M21
Both images are full-frame. For all the gory details of acquisition, look at my gallery on AstroBin. By way of a quick summary, both are LRGB images made with an SBIG ST8300M CCD, TeleVue 102 apo and autoguided CGEM mount under mag 6+ skies. Dark and bias frames only, no flats.

Imaging is SO much faster doing LRGB in the dark than it is to use narrowband filters under light-polluted skies. 

I realize that the colors in the M17 image may look a little muted to you, but I kind of like them this way. What's particularly pleasing about the image from my standpoint is three-fold: The stars are nice and round right out to the edge of the field, meaning that my field flattener is doing its job perfectly; The merging of the LRGB channels seems to be spot-on. And finally, guiding with the Orion mini-guider works great at the 700mm focal length of the TV102 to correct mount errors. I'll eventually try out the mini on my C925.

My processing workflow continues to evolve. These two images were made by ping-ponging back and forth between Images Plus and Photoshop:
  • Calibrate, align and stack using IP
  • Stretch using PS
  • Noise cleanup and star size reduction in IP
  • LRGB combine in PS using Annie's Actions
  • Color balance in IP
  • Masked sharpening in PS
Yes, I know that's a mess, and some will say that all can be done in IP or PS or Maxim or whatever. Good for you if you can function with only one software package, but at this point I can't. I'm using IP 4.5, so probably some of the changes that have gone into later versions would make it a better processing tool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment