Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Messier Marathon plans

The Minnesota Astronomical Society's springtime Messier Marathon is scheduled for a night I'm teaching. How could it be any other way? (If that night is cloudy and the next night is clear it will be held then.)

I've tried my hand at the marathon. some years ago--2004, perhaps?--I gave this a try and got 93 by starhopping. That was a long, cold night, but very calm and clear. It was a "fun-once" sort of thing, and I doubt I'll try it again anytime soon.
Instead, my mission for that evening is not racking up Ms, but instead to image them. Imaging with a difference, however. The intent is to create images that replicate how the objects look in modest telescopes (6 or 8 inches in objective diameter). These will really require very few light frames, and since the eye can't really see color, they can be simple luminance exposures, and fairly short ones at that.. During the course of an evening I should be able to image quite a few!

These are intended for the next release of my astronomy software, RSI New Moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment