Monday, June 6, 2022

Jumping the APT ship for a ride with NINA

I hopped on the imaging automation wagon reluctantly because I'm very old school. My mounts had go-to that I seldom used; star hopping and a good finder were all I needed, right? Absolutely! I did the H400 pushing a non-electronic 10" Dob from star to star to H object, and it was fun. All I needed was a red light, star atlas, and dew strap for the finder.

Then I started imaging and kept right on hopping. That worked for awhile, but then it became evident (only because someone pointed it out to me) that I spent a lot of time hopping when I could have been collecting photons. Reluctantly I started to move into the 21st Century. A friend suggested a setup that included planetarium and acquisition software. 

The planetarium part was easy enough as I liked Stellarium's simplicity. For acquisition I already had ImagesPlus.  IP and photoshop handled my calibration and image processing needs. After completing the Astronomical League's Bright Nebula list I switched from CCD to DSLR and I changed to BackyardEOS for acquisition.

Then things happened.

I became involved with the creation of a club imaging platform. This brought me into contact with more modern imagers, and they gently suggested I modernize. For the platform I surveyed available acquisition software and put APT and SGP on the short list. APT looked horribly complex (partly due to the clunky interface) and the way SGP worked seemed counterintuitive to me. The decision was made by someone else after I left because of the pandemic, but for myself I decided on APT.

Next, a friend wanted me to learn PixInsight so that I could teach him. I knew PI was a fine package, and that eventually I'd want to wean myself from Photoshop, so PI became the third leg of my imaging tripod: Stellarium, APT, and PI.

Which was how it stood until yesterday when I revisited NINA. In 2019 I had considered NINA briefly but thought it was too new, too undocumented, and too undertutorialed (if that's a word). And since it was Open Source and free, I had concerns that it might wither and have a premature death. Now it's 2022 and none of those concerns are valid. So it is time to revisit NINA. And after a day inside seeing how well it plays with my equipment I'm ready to switch.

First and only somewhat important, NINA looks great. Better yet, the style of NINA complements its large set of features; it seems, at least to me, incredibly intuitive. I've already had a dry run with NINA and my complete imaging setup, and I'm ready to try it out when we have a clear night.



No comments:

Post a Comment