Sunday, April 29, 2018

Almost 100%

Last night was just before full moon, which made it perfect for taking the "new" imaging system out and giving it a trial run. What makes it new? Here's a quick recap:
  • New batteries connected in parallel
  • A new DIY power hub and powered USB3 hub riding piggyback on the telescope along with the finder and autoguider
  • A new laptop
  • StellariumScope and Stellarium running the mount
  • The latest version of PHD2
  • Astrotortilla (AT) integrated with BYEOS
  • ASCOM control of the mount and autoguider
  • TeamViewer on the laptop to allow remote access to the desktop
  • A Wireless router to allow connectivity for the remote access
Amazingly almost everything worked! Although AT was able to control the imaging camera correctly, no images were being passed to it by BYEOS (which did have its server mode on). I suspect some sort of interference between AT and Stellarium, so next time I will change my workflow.

I was able to take a first check of the router's range by carrying my tablet about 120m distant. I could still control the imaging laptop using it, and even snapped off a few pictures. I couldn't really walk any farther without adding obstructions to the signal, but given the imaging site was in a depression and not line-of-sight, I think 120m was a good start. It's almost got to be better at the Nebraska star party, where it will be broadcasting from atop a rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment